As your parents’ age, they may require help in moving around. Some may require more care and assistance. In such cases, you will have to leave your job and stop earning. Without any income, life would certainly become difficult! But what if you can take care of family members and get paid for it?
Isolation, boredom and loneliness can be common issues faced by the elderly in the family. So caring for the elderly family members should be given priority even if you are super busy with your own life. Taking care of the elderly in your family should be as important as any other task, even if you are not getting paid. But wouldn’t it be great if you can take care of family members and get paid for the same? The elderly in your family will also be happier when a family member steps in as a caregiver. There are some programs that help you to take care of family members and get paid at the same time. One of these programs is The NY State Medicaid CDPAP program.
What is The NY State Medicaid CDPAP program?
Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program or CDPAP is a Medicaid funded program which allows an individual to pick any caregiver of their preference, including a family member.
Eligibility Criteria for CDPAP
- The recipient should be a part of Medicaid.
- The medical condition of the recipient should be stable.
- The recipient is eligible only if assistance with tasks is required.
- The recipient should have a willing caregiver who is qualified to care for the recipient directly.
How CDPAP works
- The recipient should let CDPAP know regarding the need for a caregiver.
- The caregiver can take care of family members and get paid only if they are legally allowed to work in the US.
- A physical examination and blood tests are mandatory for you to prove that you are healthy and can provide care to the elderly. A doctor’s authorization is also required.
- If the CDPAP approves, your family member will be allotted certain hours per week, depending on their requirements.
- You will receive a paycheck based on an hourly pay rate to take care of your family member and to get paid.
Benefits of CDPAP
- The main advantage of CDPAP is to take care of family members and get paid. It alleviates the financial stress in the family.
- Unlike nursing homes, there is no specialized training for you to be a caregiver.
- The caregiver can perform medical tasks such as administering medications, giving insulin and other functions taken care of by the nurses.
Few facts on using Medicaid to care for family
- Medicaid is a public health insurance program for families with low income.
- Medicaid programs have a federal-state partnership and Medicaid insurance coverage has evolved since its inception.
- Taking care of family members and getting paid helps serve diverse populations.
- Medicaid focuses mainly on the elderly and people with disabilities.
- Medicaid covers long-term healthcare services.
- Each state has its eligibility requirements for using Medicaid to care for family.
- The amount of money received for care giving depends on a Medicaid assessment of need and the average state wage for in-home care aides.